Helpful Advice When Dealing With Car Maintenance and Repair
It is a dreadful feeling that comes in when your car breaks down. If you are not too familiar with car repairs and maintenance it can become a difficult task.
Here are a few advices that will help you with car repairing and maintenance:
- Prevention is better: Ask a lot of questions about your car when you are purchasing it. You must know your car well and it will help you prevent the problems that can come up due to negligence. This will help you save a lot of money that is spent in car repairs. If your car has some minor problems coming up, remember to take it for a check. It is possible to avoid big expensive repairs by taking care of these small problems.
- Keep the car records safe: Always keep your car’s record papers safe. The mechanic may ask for them as it often helps them figure out the problem quickly and easily.
- Assemble a kit for yourself: Depending only on the emergency car kit is not a very great idea. You should assemble a kit having the tools for changing the tire and getting some extra gas. You don’t necessarily need a mechanic for every small thing.
- Do It Yourself (DIY): You can do some easy tasks all by yourself. You must have heard that ‘let a professional do it’. But regular maintenance including oiling your car and topping up the windshield fluid compartment can be done easily by you. Make sure you know how to do the task before starting up and then all you need is to get a bit dirty.
- Don’t forget to check the tire pressure: Every time you fill up your gas, remember to check the pressure in your tire. Also make sure to check that nothing is inserted in your tires. These days most of the cars already have a spare tire and jack in their trunks but if your car is not already equipped with them make sure to keep it yourself. You do not want to spend money on towing your car if you get stuck up with a flat tire.
- Go to certified mechanics: Make sure to visit a mechanic who has a certificate and is qualified to work for your car. It is a guarantee that he has passed a written test and has an experience of few years. But if you are tight on your budget, you can visit a vocational school’s auto repair department. The students under a licensed mechanic will fix up your car at a lower price.
- Consult a few before getting your car repaired: You should consult a few dealers and garages and inquire about the price for the kind of repair work you want in your car. Who knows you might find a cheaper rate.
- Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM): When you want to get some parts replaced in your car, make sure to let the mechanic know that you only want Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) parts. This will make sure that you do not get used parts for your car. Remember to call the original dealer as they might fix the problem at no cost.
- Ask back for the old replaced part: Another thing to remember while getting a part replaced is to ask your mechanic for the old part as he may try to fool you. If he rejects to return the old part, may have not replaced the part and all.
It may sound very complicates and difficult but it is very easy to repair and maintain your car that too at a reasonable price. All you need to do is take care of your vehicle and do the regular maintenance.